View Anderson Union High School District

Work Permit Info

In order to obtain a work permit, students must maintain satisfactory grades (2.0 GPA or higher) and attendance. Students that fall below the district standard in grades or attendance will be in jeopardy of losing their work permit.

Students must have a job offer before they can get a work permit. After a student has been offered a job, they need to get a B1-1 form (Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit - Certificate of Age) filled out. That form must have the complete Social Security Number, the new job information, employer's, parent's and student's signatures.

See Kat in the front office if you need a new work permit or have an expired one you need renewed.
AGES: 16 – 17
When school is in session: 
Daily maximum 4 hours, Monday through Thursday. May work up to 8 hours on any non-school day or on any day that precedes a non-school day. May be permitted to work up to 48 hours per week.
When school is not in session: (summer, spring and winter break) 
Daily maximum 8 hours and weekly maximum 48 hours. 
Work must be performed between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. However, until 12:30 a.m. on any evening preceding a non-school day.
AGES: 14 – 15
When school is in session: 
Daily maximum 3 hours, Monday through Thursday. Weekly maximum 18 hours. May work 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday.
When school is not in session: (summer, spring and winter break) 
Daily maximum 8 hours and weekly maximum 40 hours. 
Work must be performed between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. any day of the week. May work from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. when school is not in session.
Younger than 14 
Labor laws generally prohibit non-farm employment of children younger than 14. Special rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work, and the entertainment industry.
General Summary of Minors’ Work Regulations
State child labor laws and the child labor provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) govern most California employers. If federal laws, state laws, and school district policies conflict, the more restrictive law (that which is most protective of the employee) prevails.
Generally, minors must attend school until age 18 unless they are 16 years or older and have graduated from high school or received a state Certificate of Proficiency.
Minors under the age of 18 may not work in occupations declared hazardous for young workers as listed below.
  1. Power-driven food slicing/processing
  2. Motor vehicle driving/outside helper
  3. Power baking/dough making machines
  4. Power-driven paper products/paper bailing
  5. Logging and saw-milling
  6. Power-driven woodworking machines
  7. Manufacturing brick, tile products
  8. Power-driven hoists/forklifts
  9. Excavation operations
  10. Power-driven metal forming, punching, & shearing machines
  11. Explosives
  12. Feed box crusher
  13. Radiation exposure
  14. Coal mining
  15. Human Directional Sign
  16. Power saws and shears
  17. Wrecking, demolition
  18. Roofing
  19. Other mining
For more information about hazardous occupations, contact the U.S. Department of Labor (Child Labor Bulletins 101 and 102) and the California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Regional offices are located in several California cities. They are listed in the “Government Listings” sections of telephone directories.
Labor laws set the basic minimum age of 16 years for general employment. Persons younger than 16 years are allowed to work only in limited, specified occupations that exclude baking, manufacturing, processing, construction, warehouse, and transportation occupations.
Labor laws applicable to adult employees are also generally applicable to minor employees, including workers’ compensation insurance requirements. Child labor laws do not generally apply to minors who deliver newspapers or work at odd jobs, such as yard work and baby-sitting, or in private homes where the minor is not regularly employed.
Employers of minors required to attend school must complete a “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit Certificate of Age” (form B1-1) for the school district of attendance for each such minor. Employers must themselves have on file for each such minor a “Permit to Employ and Work” (form B1-4). Work permits (B1-4) must be open at all times for inspection by sanctioned authorities.
A work permit (B1-4) must be revoked whenever the issuing authority determines the employment is illegal or is impairing the health or education of the minor.

Anderson New Technology High School

Phone: (530) 365-3100

© 2024. Anderson Union High School District. All Rights Reserved.
Website by eSchoolView

Follow Us Facebook Instagram

View text-based website